Navigation

Our History

The Howe Insurance Agency was established as The Howe Agency by Douglas N. Howe, Sr., in 1955 as a full-service insurance and real estate firm on Main Street in Andover, Massachusetts. A life-long Andover native, Mr. Howe was able to grow the business through his many positive relationships with local families and businesses. In 1970 he was joined in the business by his two oldest sons, Douglas N. Howe, Jr. and Clifford J. Howe. Doug Jr. focused his efforts on the real estate side of the company while Cliff assumed responsibility for much of the insurance work.

As the client portfolio steadily grew, so too did the space needs of the Agency’s growing staff. In 1980 the business purchased and moved to the former Andover Home for Aged People home at 4 Punchard Avenue in Andover. Again in 1996, strong growth required more change at the Howe Agency. That year, Doug Jr. merged the real estate portion of the business with Doherty Real Estate, another well- respected local business, and became a franchise of the Prudential Company (Prudential Howe & Doherty Realty).

Never one to fully retire, Mr. Howe maintained a desk at The Howe Insurance Agency for years as Cliff continued to grow the business. In 1997, the third generation joined the businesses when Stephen Gruenberg and David Louis, Cliff’s sons-in-law came on board. Today, Stephen and David are leading the business into its second 50 years of service to individuals and businesses in the Merrimack Valley. They are committed to maintaining the traditions of assisting their clients with/in protecting their assets, providing quality customer service, and continuing the philanthropies endeavors begun by the 6 generations before them.